This is not a bug in Mathematica. Facebook has changed what information can be retrieved through their API. It is no longer possible to retrieve the information necessary to build your friend network unless your friends have also explicitly authorized Wolfram to access their data.
When I run SocialMediaData["Facebook", "FriendNetwork"] I get a network ...
Here's a cleaner rewrite of my original:
$so = ServiceConnect["Twitter", "New"];
Long story short, LinkedIn changed their API and what it can do. The documentation needs to be updated and the function probably needs to be changed a bit.
"UserData" and "Share" requests should work, but the rest won't.
The syntax for creating messages should look something like this:
ServiceExecute[LIN, "Share", "Message" -> "This is a test message"...
Thank you for contacting Wolfram Technical Support.
It does appear that the SocialMediaData functionality it not currently >behaving properly for the social networks mentioned in the documentation. I >have filed a report with our developers so that they may look into the issue.
We are always interested in improving Mathematica, and I want to ...
CommunityGraphPlot@SocialMediaData["Facebook", "FriendNetwork"] only takes your friends and their mutual friends to group and link them, showing connections between each of them, and showing the isolated friends. Mathematica only allows you to analyze your own "FriendNetwork" via the token given by the Wolfram Mathematica Connection Facebook app.
Thus I see ...
As rhermans has noted, we can't offer support for specific APIs that have no native support in Mathematica. However one might still try to tackle the problem of retrieving the tweets that you mention. I believe there is another solution (although clearly suboptimal and not scalable), because if you search for the hashtag on Twitter then historic data will be ...
All of the functionality you are looking for is well documented on Wolfram's website, you just need to put it all together.
Twitter Service Connect
There are a lot of options you can use once you start exploring it. It is possible to format the body of the email to display what you are looking for, or you can have it come through ...
This should work with ServiceConnect.
In:= twitter = ServiceConnect["Twitter"]
"ID" -> "connection-5c77beed5f5bfdf02b1a8074d281a438"]
In:= twitter["Tweet", "Message" -> "Hi Twitter!",
"Image" -> Import["ExampleData/spikey.tiff"] ]
Out= "Hi Twitter! https://t.co/YYXZ58lQwJ"
Make sure you use ...
Finally I figured it out together with the Mathematica support. If you what to connect to the internet and have a proxy that has its definition file not local but from a server within the network, you need to put in the proxy-data to Mathemtica.
Normally Mathematica gets the proxy-data directly from the local webbrowser. But if the definition is not localy ...
Presently Twitter paclet does not support https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/lookup.json end point. I have asked the development team to consider adding this request in future versions. Meanwhile one of the developer suggested me a rather simple way of calling this endpoint from mathematica.
In:= twitter = ServiceConnect["Twitter", "New"]
For Instagram you first have to initiate the service:
instagram = ServiceConnect["Instagram"]
This will open a dialog window where you have to click Sign in to Instagram. That will take you to Instagram API authentication website where you have to follow the steps to get an access key. Paste this access key in the Mathematica dialog.
Once you are ...
Perhaps it should be mentioned that since this question was active, (prior to version 10) Mathematica has introduced ServiceConnect which allows a user to access the twittersphere and handles the authentication issue. The documentation provides an example of importing tweets as the OP requested.
This is the temporary answer at this time.
I got a response from support and they have reproduced the issue and reported it to development. So it is under investigation.
Update: 14th Sept 2015. I've tested this on Mathematica 10.2 and it appears to work for the first option. You get a popup to authenticate with Twitter. You can have it remember ...
Currently Mathematica supports two LinkedIn requests.
Earlier more requests used to be supported but change in linkedin policies caused others to take back seat. Also currently it is not possible to share a message to other members in your linkedin network.
I went into the paclet itself to tweak things:
}] // SystemOpen
I made compatibility changes that would have fixed it if they had a valid ...
I could not try with Twitter because I don't have an account, so I tried with Dropbox.
I think you should extract the ID from the ServiceObject returned by ServiceConnect. Here is what I tried:
dropbox = ServiceConnect["Dropbox", "New"]
The extract the connection ID from the ServiceObject itself:
dboxID = dropbox["ID"]
(* Out: "connection-...
All ServiceObject requests take a request name (string) and list of parameters. In this case if you want to extract GeoLocation for a set of tweets it seems you'll have to do it like this:
"Query" -> "#WolframAlpha"
"TweetID" -> #,
"Elements" -> "FullData"
Certain requests, like that one, are no longer supported by Facebook's new API.
If the documentation for SocialMediaData hasn't been updated, then you'll want to check Facebook's documentation for the API to see what is and isn't possible their new API.