I went to a Wolfram Technologies workshop a few weeks ago and the presenter showed us a keyboard shortcut that when a block of input is selected, the shortcut puts the block of selected input in (* comment *) brackets. I've forgotten what the shortcut is though. Does anyone know what it is?


1 Answer 1


The short-cut keys for various actions can usually be found directly in the menu. Here on OS X you see the +/ at the right side under Un/Comment Selection:

enter image description here

As pointed out in the comments for various systems the short-cuts to comment a selection are

Mac OS X

  • +/


  • Alt+/
  • Right click + u which uses the context menu short-cut


  • Alt+/
  • Alt+Shift+7 on a German keyboard
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Unfortunately on a german keyboard it's impossible to get [Alt]+[/]. It behaves like [Alt]+[7] and you'll change the style to "Text". But somewhere on SE there is a solution for mapping the commands to other keys. $\endgroup$
    – Phab
    Oct 23, 2014 at 9:17
  • $\begingroup$ @Phab: can you tell where on SE I can find this? $\endgroup$ Feb 24, 2017 at 11:09
  • $\begingroup$ @riddleculous Have a look at these SE topics: Link1, Link2 and Link3. With this information I changed a lot of my shortcuts. $\endgroup$
    – Phab
    Feb 28, 2017 at 7:03
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Phab: Why not simply use [Alt]+[Shift]+[/]. For me it works even with the German keyboard layout. $\endgroup$
    – NeverMind
    Feb 8, 2018 at 12:14
  • $\begingroup$ @DisplayName Didn't work back in 2014 ;) $\endgroup$
    – Phab
    Mar 16, 2018 at 9:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.