Is there any option Mathematica's preferences to change the font for the whole notebook? I know how to change the font of individual cells.
Stylesheets (as "bill s" said) seem the best idea to me. Just modify the font of the type of cells(Title, section, subsection...) you want on the stylesheet (using the writing assistant palette, for instance) and the changes will be applied to the same cell types on the notebook.
Here are more detailed steps (tested in mathematica 9 front-end):
- Go to "Format"-> "Edit Stylesheet"
- This opens the "Private style definitions" stylesheet, whose definitions override the base stylesheet all notebooks have by default.
- From the "Choose style" drop-down menu select the style you want to modify.
- A new cell will be created with the contents: "Local definition for style "stylename"" and below: "stylename" formatted according to that particular style.
- With the "Writing Assistant" palette change the desired feature (text size, color, font...)
- Note that only the features you set will be overriden, all the other will be inherited from the base stylesheet.
- You can also modify the cell expression directly if you know how (Ctrl+Shift+e to toggle it on the current cell)
Also, note that the cells in the stylesheet are not regular cells, thus you can't just insert a regular cell in it, use the dropdown "Choose style" instead.
This is what the expression of a stylesheet cell for "Title" looks like (you can toggle between displaying a cell in normal mode and expression mode with Ctrl+Shift+e ):
Cell[StyleData["Title"]]. If we changed the color to blue, it would look like this:
FontColor->RGBColor[0, 0, 1]]
And this is what a regular (blank) title cell expression looks like:
Cell["", "Title"] (The empty string is the content of the cell)
(1) Open a notebook, in the menu choose "Format" -> "Edit Stylesheet".
(2) Choose a style to change. For example, "Text", in the menu at the top left.
(3) Modify fonts, etc.
(4) Save this stylesheet to a .nb file. Optionally one can also click Install StyleSheet so that the stylesheet can be found at "Format" -> "Stylesheet..." menu.
(5) Open menu "Format" -> "Option Inspector", make sure "Global Preference" is selected (where the default is "Selection") in the popup menu.
(6) Search for DefaultStyleDefinitions, change it to the saved stylesheet file. Click apply.
Close Mathematica and launch it again. The default font is changed.