A friend of mine made a tattoo on his chest of some chemical substance formula.
He challenged us to identify which substance is that. I thought that perhaps a combination of:
- Mathematica image processing capabilities
- Wolfram|Alpha chemical data
- Manual intervention
could do the trick. Here is the picture:
I am looking for pointers on how to attack the problem (like keywords of Mathematica functions, etc).
EDIT 1: I suppose the following need to be done:
- Extract the formula from the picture as basic (2D) structure diagram
- Define a distance metric for images or use existing one (e.g.,
- Calculate the distance of our element's diagram against all
- Pick the few first and do a visual verification
At the moment 1st step seems like the most challenging.
EDIT 2: As shown by Sjoerd it is much easier to search for a formula as string rather than as image!