My system: Windows 10, Mathematica 11.2
Yesterday I had to upgrade my MikTeX because I absolutely needed to compile a document needing a newer version.
Today MaTeX stopped working. I started getting error messages like the following.
MaTeX::stderr: Additional error information received: Sorry, but "C:\Users\Jyrki\AppData\Local\Programs\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64\pdflatex.exe" did not succeed. The log file hopefully contains the information to get MiKTeX going again:
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version, but to no avail:
worked without incident. But the test command
gives a repeat of the previous message.
I try and follow the instructions, and take a look at the pdflatex log file. The latest entries read:
2022-05-13 13:12:36,162+0300 INFO pdflatex - starting with command line: "C:\Users\Jyrki\AppData\Local\Programs\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\x64\pdflatex.exe" -halt-on-error -interaction=nonstopmode C:\Users\Jyrki\AppData\Local\Temp\MaTeX_eztxwxztseqtbklv\ngzykhpmqouyaimb.tex 2022-05-13 13:12:36,172+0300 INFO pdflatex - allowing known shell commands 2022-05-13 13:12:36,173+0300 INFO pdflatex - enabling input (output) from (to) processes 2022-05-13 13:12:36,188+0300 FATAL pdflatex - Bad parameter value. 2022-05-13 13:12:36,188+0300 FATAL pdflatex - Info: parameterName="font_mem_size" 2022-05-13 13:12:36,188+0300 FATAL pdflatex - Source: Libraries\MiKTeX\TeXAndFriends\include\miktex\TeXAndFriends\TeXMFMemoryHandlerImpl.h 2022-05-13 13:12:36,188+0300 FATAL pdflatex - Line: 105 2022-05-13 13:12:36,188+0300 INFO pdflatex - finishing with exit code 1
I'm afraid this is all Greek to me. Can anyone interpret this and/or suggest a fix?
Following the suggestions by Szabolcs and Nasser reveals the following.
- My TeX-system compiles the output MaTeX generated just fine.
- But something went wrong with my TeX upgrade. Namely, there are now two copies of MikTeX on my system, Version 2.9 and the upgraded version! The installation software unexpectedly (?) did not remove the earlier version of MikTeX.
- And the problem seems to be that, from within Mathematica, MaTeX still attempts to call the old version. After all, the error message refers to MikTeX2.9.
- Making the first bullet more precise: the file containing the output of
ClearMaTeXCache; MaTeX["x^2", "TeXFileFunction" -> Print]compiles with
pdflatex.exejust fine when I use the version of pdflatex in the new folder. But if I call the version of pdflatex in the MikTeX2.9 hierarchy of folders, it will abort immediately.
- I might be able to fix this problem by reconfiguring MaTeX to use the updated version of
- And therefore I'm grateful for all tips related to that.
- But it also looks like I need to rebuild my TeX-system from scratch. Something I cannot afford to do today. I don't cherish the prospect of reconfiguring WinEDT (if I end up having to install that). I don't know what went wrong when upgrading MikTeX, but that's a problem for another site.