2
$\begingroup$

Imagine you are give the following problem:

  • There is a 50% chance of diagnosing an illness correctly as "Known" instead of "Unknown".
  • There is a 50% that available treatments "Control" the "Known" illness (and 50% they do not,lets us "Chaos" as a label for out of control)

What are the chances the patient has an "Unknown" illness that is out of control (in “Chaos”)

Initially I thought I could solve it with this code:

cause = CategoricalDistribution[{"Known", "Unknown"}, {1/2, 1/2}]
control = CategoricalDistribution[{"Control", "Chaos"}, {1/2, 1/2}]    
Probability[ ca == "Unknown" &&  co == "Chaos" , {ca \[Distributed] cause, co \[Distributed] control} ]

Which results in the answer $\frac{1}{4}$ (0.25)

But then I realized that is only if probability of pick a treatment that "Controls" condition is independent of probability of "Known" condition, which feels intuitively wrong.

How can I tell Mathematica that if the illness is "Known" the probability to "Control" it should be higher, say: 60%, and if the illness is “Unknown" the probability to "Control" it is lower (say "40%") ?

$\endgroup$
2
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You'd have to define a multivariate CategoricalDistribution, as explained in the corresponding section of the reference page. $\endgroup$ Commented Mar 2, 2022 at 20:47
  • $\begingroup$ I wonder if I am being hit by this: mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/240215/… $\endgroup$
    – Luxspes
    Commented Mar 3, 2022 at 0:33

1 Answer 1

0
$\begingroup$

Turns out that it can be done by using CategoricalDistribution multivariate support. I just have to change the code to be:

causecontrol = CategoricalDistribution[{{"Known", "Unknown"},
   {"Control", "Chaos"}}, {{120, 80}, {80, 120}}]

and then:

Probability[
 ca == "Unknown" &&  cp == "Chaos"  , {ca, cp} \[Distributed] 
  causecontrol]

gets me a $\frac{3}{10}$ (.3) answer. This made me realize what I am actually trying to get is c=="Unknown" conditional on cp=="Chaos"

Unfortunately while that works in the univariate mode:

Probability[ 
 Conditioned[ca == "Unknown" ,    
  co == "Chaos" ], {ca \[Distributed] cause, 
  co \[Distributed] control} ]

Resulting in answer $\frac{1}{2}$

It returns an unevaluated expression under multivariate setting:

Probability[ 
 Conditioned[ca == "Unknown" ,  
  cp == "Chaos"  ] , {ca, cp} \[Distributed] causecontrol]

I tried it on Mathematica Online, and it seems I am being hit by this bug, but other than that, the approach is correct.

$\endgroup$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.