RLink has not seen significant changes since it first appeared back in V9 (2012). OTOH, it has a number of issues (existing from the start or accumulated over the years), which make it more difficult to work with. Here is a list of some of them:
- Bundled version of R shipped with RLink is very old. Also, it has stopped working altogether in 12.1 on some platforms (Windows, Linux).
- External installations of R are not officially supported on platforms other than Windows. Workarounds exist, but require more work from the user.
- There is no simple way to install R packages from within RLink.
- There is no supported way to use
ExternalEvaluatewith externally installed versions of R.
- R plotting functionality does not work out of the box with RLink.
Are there any plans to address these and other RLink-related issues?