Against my better judgement, and in the interest of speedy I/O, I've decided to use
.mx files for a project - limitations and all. I'm dealing with a few gigabyte-sized datasets that I need in core for reasonably efficient computations and, despite other options, the ol
.mx remains my best option (with some hand-rolled
HDF5 coming in a close second).
I try to be reasonably clever and name the file with the name of the symbol or context I am exporting. Despite my cleverness I occasionally dump things into the
Global' context and then misname the file.
I've perused the always insightful work of @MrWizard on the subject, especially here but I'm still adrift in a sea of
Definition when it comes to this particular problem.
For a while, I figured that looking what was defined in
Global' before and after, then comparing, would be of assistance, but, if the symbol is already defined (and subsequently gets clobbered) it means I'm out of luck there.
I feel like I'm missing something pretty obvious here - or not.